Family Letter June 2020
Happy summer! I pray that you and your family are safe and well. This letter, I hope, brings joyous news to all of you. We have some super announcements to share with you in addition to other information.
1. Students will be returning to the classrooms in August…hip hip hooray!!! There are guidelines that all Catholic Schools will be following from the Office of Catholic Schools. Attached to the email is a letter from the Cardinal and superintendent, Dr. Rigg…please read the letter. The final guidelines will be given to all Catholic Schools in about 2-4 weeks. When I receive those guidelines, I will share them with all of you. So if you have not registered your child yet please do not waste time and stop by the school office Monday-Thursday 9-12. Also, please remember that if your child is entering kindergarten students will need a dental, physical, and eye exams, 2nd graders will need a dental exam and 6th graders will need dental and physical exams—please do not wait to schedule these important appointments.
2. The next bit of awesome news is that the upgraded electrical work has begun in the school to install the air conditioners in each classroom. Fr. Ortega and I want to thank Mayor Serpico & friends, Proviso Township Mental Health Commission Board President Michael A. Corrigan and other board members, Elite Electric and all the generous school families and friends for making this project possible.
3. We would like to welcome to our faculty the following new hires:
*Ms. Marianne Voss will be teaching 5th grade. Ms. Voss comes to Sacred Heart from St. Louise de Marillac School, which sadly closed at the end of the school year.
*Mrs. Mary Vitale will be teaching 3rd grade. Mrs. Vitale comes to Sacred Heart from St. Colette, which also sadly closed at the end of the school year.
*Mrs. Alexandra Timmins will be teaching preschool. Mrs. Timmins comes to Sacred Heart School from St. Louise de Marillac School, which sadly closed at the end of the school year.
Each of these teachers are coming to Sacred Heart with many years of experience of teaching in the Archdiocese of Chicago. Please welcome them with “air hugs and kind words”.
4. The CARES Grant that was awarded to schools in the state of Illinois will be a blessing to Sacred Heart School. The 4th -8th graders will be getting Chromebooks to be used in the classrooms. We have also been able to secure 50 i-pads for the primary grades. In addition to that, we have been able to get charging charts for the Chromebooks and funds to purchase the needed cleaning supplies and safety items for our return in the fall.
5. We will be using three restaurants for our lunch program-each month we will rotate. A-Theme Caterers, Linda and Paul, retired—we thank them for serving Sacred Heart School and wish them the best on their retirement. After making many phone calls to research prices and those who would adhere to packaging individual lunches for the children we decided to use for the 2020/2021 school year Yadis, in Franklin Park, and Donald’s, in Westchester, and Slice Factory in Melrose Park. Each restaurant will rotate monthly to provide JUST the main meal item, no sides or desserts will be provided. The lunches will be $3.00 each and individually bagged for each child for easy distribution. We will have more information to share with you later about the menu items.
6. For those families that use our Extended Day Program, we want to inform you that we are increasing the hourly rate to $4.50 per student. Minimum wage will increase July 1st and this increase will be affecting our hourly staff in Extended Day.
7. We are currently still looking for a part-time gym teacher. We will also be switching one of our gym days. Gym days will be on Tuesdays and Wednesdays for the 2020/2021 school year.
8. Lastly, we want to inform you that there will be two 1:30pm dismissals each month starting in the 2020/2021 school year. The early dismissal will be on the third and fourth Thursdays of each month. One will be for the monthly faculty meeting and the second will be for PLC (Professional Learning Community) Meetings. This will ensure ample time for teams of teachers to collaborate while analyzing student performance information to identify specific areas for growth.
9. WOW Registration Weekend plans are being discussed to follow guidelines from the diocese-we will keep you posted about procedures for this weekend.
Blessings to you,